You realize once you’re on Fb or Twitter and a good friend posts footage of some type of meals, wether its breakfast, lunch, dinner and even worse … dessert … and also you simply HAVE TO HAVE IT !!
Effectively I had a type of very moments a few days in the past when a good friend of mine posted an image of a classical college dinners dessert, cornflake tart, and I needed it proper then.
There after which was simply not going to occur since I used to be all out of the very important part, cornflakes, and so as to add to my predicament outdoors it was starting to snow quite closely so there was no approach I used to be venturing outside.
Yesterday the sunshine determined to make a short look so I grabbed my probability and off I went to get my arms on a field of cornflakes.
For this recipe I made John Whaite’s wealthy candy quick crust pastry, however cheated with the custard and used store purchased.
For the pastry you’ll need :
125g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
125g salted butter – lower into cubes
For the filling you’ll need:
Four-5 tbsp raspberry jam
Four tbsp golden syrup
25g smooth brown sugar
- Begin with making the pastry. Place the egg, sugar & extract in a bowl and whisk collectively until mixed.
- Sift the flour into the combination and stir collectively until you find yourself with a breadcrumb like consistency. Make sure that there aren’t any bits of flour left within the bowl.
- Add within the cubed butter and lower the butter into the flour utilizing a butter knife until all of it comes collectively. I discovered that as it has been fairly chilly just lately i managed to ‘ press ‘ the butter gently into the flour with the again of a picket spoon.
- Take away from the bowl as soon as mixed and knead gently for a few seconds. You do not need to over knead it as you will find yourself activating the gluten which can find yourself supplying you with arduous pastry and never the crumbly texture you need with quick crust.
- Wrap the pastry in cling movie or baking paper and chill for not less than 30 minutes earlier than utilizing it.
- As soon as chilled, roll the pastry out onto a nicely floured board, to a couple of centimetre thickness, and line a spherical 20cm baking with the pastry.
- Press the pastry in gently, ensuring there aren’t any air bubbles, prick the bottom frivolously with a fork and place within the freezer for about 15 minutes. DO NOT lower off the surplus pastry from the edges of the tin
- Take away the pastry from the freezer, line with greaseproof paper or foil, weigh the paper down with baking beans, raw rice and even lentils
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200c for 15 minutes. Take away the baking paper and bake for an additional 15 minutes until frivolously golden brown, go away to chill*
- As soon as cooled. fastidiously lower off any extra pastry spherical the edges and put aside
- To make the filling, warmth up the jam in a small bowl within the microwave briefly 30 second bursts and pour into the case, spreading it out evenly with a butter knife.
- Soften the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a small pan on a low warmth collectively. Gently fold within the cornflakes ensuring they’re all coated within the caramel. Pour the cornflakes into the pastry case and even them out with a moist knife. Permit the tart to chill and for the cornflakes to set barely .. and serve away
* i discovered that when the case was baking within the oven, many of the extra pastry fell to the underside of the oven and made fairly a little bit of mess. Place the baking tin onto a baking sheet/ tray, that approach you will save the underside of your oven stepping into a large number and save your time cleansing up.