For me faculty dinners had been all the time about one factor and one factor solely .. what’s for pudding ?? My favourites had been both cornflake tart or the basic jam & coconut sponge with a load of custard. Ive already blogged my recipe for cornflake tart right here, so at the moment it is the flip of my different favorite. It is one of many best and quickest desserts going and particular crowd pleaser
To serve 6-Eight folks you will want :
6oz margarine (softened ) *
6 ouncesself elevating flour
6 ouncescaster sugar
Three medium eggs*
for the sugar syrup
Three tablespoons sugar
Three tablespoons scorching water ( ideally freshly boiled )
for the topping:
Three-Four tablespoons raspberry jam
- Begin by preheating your oven at 180c ( fan assisted ) and grease and line a 7 inch sq. tin
- Place all of the elements for the cake in a bowl and with an electrical hand whisk or in a freestanding mixer when you’ve got one. Whisk the elements collectively at a sluggish pace until every little thing is properly mixed, pace up the whisk a little and whisk for an additional 2-Three minutes. The combination needs to be clean and lighter in color.
- Pour the combination into the greased tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or till the cake springs again when calmly touched and the edges are barely coming away from the tin or inserted skewer comes out clear.
- Put the cake to the aspect and depart to chill barely
- Whereas the cake cools, make the sugar syrup by merely mixing the sugar and water collectively in a cup or small bowl. For those who discover that there are a number of cussed grains that simply will not combine in, pop the combination within the microwave for about 10-15 seconds- do not let it come to the boil as you don’t desire it to crystallise
- When the cake is cool to the contact, take away the cake and place onto an acceptable plate. With a pastry brush, brush the sugar syrup all excessive and sides. You will not want all of the syrup, simply use sufficient to provide the cake an excellent coat.
- Lastly heat the jam for a number of seconds in a plate within the microwave, ( simply to make it simpler to unfold) and unfold all around the high of the cake with a knife. End off with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut & serve with lashings of custard
* guarantee that the eggs and margarine are at room temperature, as this helps in getting a lighter and fluffier cake batter and a greater rise throughout.